A Brief History
In 1921, the Fraternity was divided into districts as a result of proposed legislation by George F. David II, the third Grand Polemarch and the third appointed Middle Eastern Province Polemarch (1929). David was first Grand Polemarch who had not been nurtured by the Alpha Chapter under the influence of the Founders. David’s election was crucial. His administration would, in part, reflect the thoroughness with which the Fraternity’s ideals had been transmitted.
The Fraternity was originally divided into three sections (later to be known as districts) under the leadership of Past Grand Polemarch Irven Armstrong, Harrison R. Duke and Harold M. Tyler. In 1926, Grand Chapter converted from eight districts to eight provinces. And during the original establishment of provinces, the following provinces where established: Eastern, Middle Eastern, Central, Great Lakes, Northwestern, Western, Southern, and Southeastern Provinces.
This establishment accounts for the first record of the Middle Eastern Province, according to "The Story of Kappa Alpha Psi", as Grand Polemarch Dickerson appointed T. Gillis Nutter to the Middle Eastern Province Polemarch post. During Province Polemarch T. Gillis Nutter's administration, he was bestowed the highest honor within the Fraternity - the Laurel Wreath Award. The Middle Eastern Province, at the time, was comprised of the following chapters: Delta, Zeta, Tau, Cincinnati Alumni, Cleveland Alumni, and Pittsburgh Alumni.
During the 1930s, the Middle Eastern Province evolved into the Province as we know it today. The Alpha Kappa (North Carolina Central University), Bluefield (WV) Alumni, Alpha Nu (North Carolina A&T State University) and Alpha Tau (Bluefield State University) chapters were the first to be established in the newly-formed Middle Eastern Province.